Position Title: Building Code Inspector Supervisor
Company Name: City of Tacoma
Position Location: 747 Market Street, Tacoma, WA 98402 USA
Company Website: http://www.cityoftacoma.org
Position Description: Do you enjoy working with a team dedicated to ensuring safety in the development of buildings in the community? Are you the kind of person that other people describe as a team player, collaborative, professional, and a good mentor? Do you want a job that not only uses your technical expertise in building and construction codes, but requires you to use these skills to train or communicate this knowledge with both internal staff and the community? If so, the position of Building Code Inspection Supervisor with the City of Tacoma could be the job you have been hoping for.
We are seeking experienced candidates with exceptional customer service and supervisory skills who have a proven success record inspecting and managing projects related to development, including: single family, multi-family, commercial buildings and other structures, to ensure compliance with Tacoma Municipal Code, State building code and other applicable codes and regulations.
The candidate should also be able to train, assign and coordinate inspection work and provide direction to Building Inspectors and other assigned personnel. Other work may include investigating and resolving code compliance complaints related to buildings and structures; explaining and interpreting building code restrictions and requirements; examining pre-permit plans; assisting customers in the field with the use of the City's permit tracking system; documenting and adding field inspections, and preparing reports related to inspection activities.
Our Ideal Candidate is a person who:
- Has an extensive knowledge in applicable codes and related permits and processes; current on new construction methods, materials and upcoming state building code changes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to research and interpret building codes and provide instruction to inspectors.
- Outstanding customer service skill set including the ability to respond to others in ways that reduce potential conflict and maintain positive working relationships.
- Proven work experience in mentoring, developing, training, leading and supervising subordinate staff in an effective and collaborative manner that promotes teamwork and a positive work environment.
Position Requirements: Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Position requires climbing and crawling.
- Work includes indoor and outdoor environment; subject to traveling from site to site and adverse weather conditions.
- Incumbents may be exposed to potentially hazardous material and heights and subject to moving around in and through construction sites at various stages of completion.
An equivalent combination to:
- graduation from high school or recognized construction trade apprenticeship program
- five years' journey-level experience in the construction trades
- three years' experience as a Building Inspector.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Valid Washington State driver's license and ICBO certified as a Building Inspector.
For full details and to apply, please visit www.governmentjobs.com/careers/tacoma. Questions regarding this job announcement, please contact Human Resources at (253)591-5400 by 5:00pm of the closing date of this job announcement.
Salary Range: $37.46 - $45.53 Hourly
Benefits: The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Contact Name: Chantra Real
Contact Phone: (253) 591-5400
Additional Info: Job announcement closes 5/17/18 at 5:00 PM.